Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Grapefruit Diet

Aaah the Grapefruit Diet.  Its start was in the 1930s, but in the 1970's, the magical fruit took dieters by storm, and then was made popular again in the 80's, making its imprint as one of the most famous fad diets ever.  Hollywood stars used it because it is one of those "shed off some pounds before having to squeeze that big butt into a size 0 red dress for the Oscars in week" diets.  There are several versions of this diet but here is a basic one with a meal plan and instructions:

Breakfast: >1/2 Grapefruit or 4 oz. Grapefruit Juice (unsweetened)
                >2 eggs (any style)
                >2 slices of bacon

Lunch: >1/2 Grapefruit or 4 oz Grapefruit Juice (unsweetened)
           >Meat (any style, any amount)
           >Salad (any kind of dressing)

Dinner: >1/2 Grapefruit or 4 oz. Grapefruit Juice (unsweetened)
            >Meat (any style, any amount) fish can substitute meat
            >Vegetables (any green, yellow, or red vegetables cooked in butter or ay seasoning)

Bed Time Snack: > 1 glass tomato juice or 1 glass Skim milk

Vegetables Allowed: Red onions, green onions, bell peppers, radishes, cucumbers, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, peas (AVOID- white onions, potatoes, celery)

Instructions:
  1. At any meal, you may eat until you are full.
  2. Don't eliminate anything from the diet, don't skip bacon at breakfast or omit salad.  It is the combination of foods that burns fat.
  3. The grapefruit starts as a catalyst that begins the fat-burning process
  4. Cut down on caffeine.  Try to limit 1 cup per meal at mealtime
  5. Don't eat between meals. 
  6. No deserts!
After reading the diet and its positive aspects, I would be attracted to follow this diet because you are eating a lot and eating until you are FULL!  Besides the fact that I can't get past the bitter taste of a grapefruit, the meal plan seems easy and not too much of a fast.  I am astonished that they allow you to eat bacon. Come on! That's like the biggest  NO NO in the dieting rules!  If the Grapefruit Diet allows my favorite salty, juicy, and greasy "meat" to be included in my everyday meal plan, I am totally up for it!!!  Another thing is something I hear advised from my mother every day, "Watch your salad dressing Mia! You know you can't put Ranch on everything!"  Believe me, I have found way in which to use Ranch that no person could ever imagine! Love that, but isn't it filled with fat?  YES, but the followers say that the fat works in with the fat-burning process.  (I wish I could tell you that they we're telling the truth, but I honestly have no idea).  Based on the evidence I have found, everywhere it says that the balance of the fats and other components work together to make this diet successful.  Bad news.  I know that this meal plan starts to sound like the DREAM DIET, but don't worry, they omit deserts (aw man!).  As much as I would like to believe in this diet, the lack of restrictions on amount and fat content makes me think that this plan isn't practical, but that's for you to try and decide!

For additional thought on this diet, we look to WebMD
Even "Weird Al" Yankovic has his own opinion on this magical fruit! : )

POST YOUR THOUGHTS AND RESULTS!!!

Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment